By: Matt Rothman
The North Broward Prep baseball team is headed to the States for the third straight season after winning a Regional Championship on Tuesday.
After getting contributions from the entire year, Jensen Seculer, who recently signed with Marshall University, stepped up late. He picked up two of his three wins in the postseason, combining to toss 11.2 innings and throwing a complete game shutout in the Regional Quarterfinals against Cocoa Beach High School on May 9.
NBP then beat St. John Paul II Academy 5-1 highlighting a four-run fourth inning on May 12. AJ Cutler knocked in two runs while Mauricio Bejarano and Nikolas Koorse. Mateo Gray won with 4.2 scoreless innings before Riley Luft recorded the final seven outs for the save.
In the championship game, NBP beat Monteverde Academy 4-1. Luft hit a first-inning two-run home run, while Coupet and Gray also knocked in runs with hits. Gray once again earned the win, pitching 4.2 innings and allowing no earned runs, striking out seven before Luft came in to earn another save.
NBP will head to Fort Myers looking to win their third straight State Championship. They are two wins away and have a record of 26-4 this year. Their first game in States will be against Gulliver Prep on Friday at 1 p.m. The Raiders went 19-10 this year, and despite not winning a District Championship, they went on to win Regionals and beat NBP 17-6 in their only meeting this season.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023North Broward Prep Basketball Begins Season 2-0 With Dominating Wins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Monarch High School Football Makes History With 1st Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 24, 20232 Monarch Football Players Commit Days Before Regional Championship Game
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Monarch High School Football Advances to Regional Championship