Riley Luft hits Walk-Off Home Run (Raul De Castro)
By: Matt Rothman
Mateo Gray made the start and dominated in his seven innings. However, the Eagles were kept scoreless. Luft also came in to pitch the eighth and escaped a mini jam before his game-winning home run. Nathaneal Coupet got the inning started with a single and came to score on the homer.
“It was one of the greatest feelings I’ve experienced on a baseball diamond, and our team as a whole winning a playoff-type game like that is what we needed heading to the postseason,” Luft said. “It felt amazing rounding the bases. It was in the heat of the moment, so emotions were definitely high, and the bulldog in our team as a whole showed tonight.”
NBP, who has won the past two State Championships, heads into the postseason with a record of 21-4. They are set to face the winner of Saint Andrews and Katz Yeshiva in the Semifinals on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. Coral Springs Charter and St. John Paul II Academy will play in the other Semifinals matchup, with the winners playing in the Championship Game on Thursday.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Monarch Baseball and Softball Dominate in Wins; Star Player Commits
- NewsFebruary 18, 202410 Monarch Football Players Officially Sign; 2 More Announce Commitment
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Monarch High School Hosts Senior Night and Postseason Games
- NewsJanuary 31, 20242 Monarch High School Football Players Announce Their College Picks