By: Matt Rothman
For the second time in school history, the North Broward Prep girls basketball team won the District Championships on Friday.
It was the first title for the Eagles since 2010-11 in a year where they finished runner-up in the State. NBP’s latest win set a school record with their 20th win of the season.
Before the start of the season, Head Coach Gardner Michel wanted to win more games than last year, become the highest-scoring point total team in program history, and win the District Championship.
“Throughout the season, we had to build confidence and trust with one another to believe we could achieve all those goals,” Michel said.
NBP started the District Tournament with a 64-43 win on Wednesday against American Heritage. Riley Weiss and Kaydie Sturm led the team, each scoring 20 points. Coming off the first triple-double in school history, Alexa Schwartz had 13 points, four rebounds, and six steals. Ana Abelleira and Meadow Henningsen combined for 11 points and 20 rebounds.
The Eagles then defeated Somerset Academy in the Final. NBP led by eight at halftime, but Somerset Academy quickly responded with an 8-0 run tie the game at 32. However, Weiss took over and had a game-high 30 points.
Sturm added 10 points with a pair of threes, while Schwartz, Henningsen and Samantha Edelson combined for 14. Abelleira also had two big baskets in the game.
Next, the Eagles are set to host a Regional Quarterfinal Game. They are waiting to see where they will be seeded and who they will be playing.
Got News? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.26North Broward Prep Eagles Soar Towards a Historic 3rd State Championship Title, Led by New College-Bound Talents
- News2023.03.21North Broward Prep 2022 Graduate Justin Abson Posts Historic Freshman Season in College
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Baseball Wins 5th Straight Game
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Softball Wins 2nd Game of the Season