By Kevin Deutsch
The principal of Monarch High School and several staff members have been reassigned as the district investigates “allegations of improper student participation in sports,” according to Broward County Public Schools.
The principal, James Cecil, along with the staff members at the Coconut Creek school, have been assigned to non-school sites pending the outcome of the investigation, according to a press release issued by BCPS.
The district did not provide any information about the nature of the allegations.
In an email and robocall Monday morning, Monarch High School parents and staff were informed that Cecil and three others “have been notified that they are part of the BCPS Special Investigative Unit’s investigation and have been reassigned to non-school sites pending the outcome,” according to a district spokesperson.
The other staff members are Assistant Principal Kenneth May, Teacher/Athletic Director Dione Hester, and Information Management Technician Jessica Norton, according to BCPS.
Additionally, Alex Burgess, a temporary athletic coach at the school, “has been advised his services are paused while the investigation is ongoing,” the spokesperson said.
In a press release, the district said it would “continue to follow state law and take appropriate action based on the outcome of the investigation.”
“We are committed to providing all our students with a safe and inclusive learning environment,” the release stated.
No additional information about the investigation was made public by BCPS Monday.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024“The Greatest Child”: Mother Mourns Death of Margate Middle School Student
- NewsFebruary 12, 2024Bicyclist Killed by Pickup Truck in Margate
- NewsJanuary 11, 20249 Hospitalized With Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Margate
- NewsJanuary 10, 2024VIDEO: Margate Police Catch Car Thief After Foot Chase