By: Matt Rothman
Monarch High School’s football team made history on Friday, winning their first Regional Championship against Palm Beach Central High School.
The Knights won 35-7 to improve to 11-2 on the season and advance to the State Championship. Monarch scored a touchdown on their first two drives to take a 13-0 highlighted by a long touchdown pass from AJ Hairston to Samari Reed. The Broncos got on the board, but AJ Hairston recorded a rushing touchdown and connected with Samari Reed for the two-point conversion. The Knights also scored early in the third quarter on a five-yard rushing touchdown from Antonio Ward to increase the lead to 28-7. Malik Kelsey finished the scoring with an 11-yard score for the Knights before Palm Beach Central recorded their second touchdown.
“Great to be a Knight,” Head Coach Calvin Davis said. “Long time coming, and we worked hard to be in this position. “Very proud of the kids and the direction of the program.”
Next, the Knights will play Mandarin High School (Jacksonville) in the State Semifinals on Friday, December 1 at 7:30 p.m. The Mustangs went 10-3 this year and outscored their opponents 93-50 in Regionals. The winner of this game will play either Plant or Christopher Columbus High School in the state final.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Monarch Baseball and Softball Dominate in Wins; Star Player Commits
- NewsFebruary 18, 202410 Monarch Football Players Officially Sign; 2 More Announce Commitment
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Monarch High School Hosts Senior Night and Postseason Games
- NewsJanuary 31, 20242 Monarch High School Football Players Announce Their College Picks