By: Matt Rothman
Monarch High School had another terrific week, highlighted by their football team.
The Knights completed the regular season with a 14-0 win over Deerfield Beach High School on Friday.
Monarch was coming off a win that clinched them their second straight District Championship in school history. Freshman Quarterback Jack Spaeder tossed touchdown passes to Brite Cannon and Robert Woods. Jabari Brady also caught five passes for 76 yards and surpassed 1,000 on the season.
Monarch also earned the top seed in the Region for the first time in school history. They will play Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the opening round of the playoffs on Thursday, November 9 at 7 p.m at Coconut Creek High School. The Knights beat MSD 26-7 in their only meeting of the season, while the Eagles went 4-6 under first-year Head Coach Keith Hindsley.
The Knights had four relay teams compete in Regionals with Andrei-Reyna Matiut, Vinicius Camargo, Samuel Lara Cuadro, and Arthur Meneghin in the 200-yard medley and 200-yard free for the boys. At the same time, Gabriella Bolivar, Mariana Bolivar, Ava Trotman, and Josselynn Zapata did the same for the girls.
Matiut competed in the in the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly. Mariana swam individually in the 500-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle, while Gabriella participated in the 500-yard freestyle.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023North Broward Prep Basketball Begins Season 2-0 With Dominating Wins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Monarch High School Football Makes History With 1st Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 24, 20232 Monarch Football Players Commit Days Before Regional Championship Game
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Monarch High School Football Advances to Regional Championship