By: Matt Rothman
Monarch High School had another busy week, with the swim team recording a win.
The girls team defeated Northeast High School 62-2 but lost to Marjory Stoneman Douglas 106-16. Monarch had their 200-yard medley relay team finish third with Gabriella Bolivar, Ava Troutman, Mariana Bolivar, and Josselynn Zapata.
Individually, the Knights had Gabriella place second in the 200-yard IM, while Zapata also came in second in the 50-yard freestyle. Haliey Quinn finished third in two races, along with Ava Troutman, Josselynn Zapata, Mariana, and Gabriella. Kylee Navarette, Julia Do Nascimento, and Troutman all finished fourth.
The boys team beat Northeast High School 49-16 but fell 110-12 against Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
Andrei Reyna-Matiut, Samuel Lara-Cuadro, Vinicius Camargo, and Juan Pelaez placed third in the 200-yard medley, while Camargo, Aldin Chin, Andrei Reyna-Matiut, and Juan Pelaez also placed third in the 200-yard freestyle.
Individually, Reyna-Matiut had the best result with a second-place finish in the 100 butterfly. Camargo and Samuel Lara-Cuadro finished third in the 200 IM and 100 Breastroke, while Chin, Pelaez, Reyna-Matiut, and Camacho all finished fourth.
Monarch had two swimmers finish fifth with Chin and Pelaez, while Samuel Lara-Cuadro placed sixth in the 50-yard freestyle.
The Knights will continue their busy regular season, hoping to send several swimmers shining in the postseason, starting with the District Tournament.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023North Broward Prep Basketball Begins Season 2-0 With Dominating Wins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Monarch High School Football Makes History With 1st Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 24, 20232 Monarch Football Players Commit Days Before Regional Championship Game
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Monarch High School Football Advances to Regional Championship