By: Matt Rothman
For the second time in school history, the Monarch High School football team was crowned District Champions following their 40-0 win over Coral Springs High School on Thursday.
This is the first time since 2014 that the Knights won Districts. That team featured assistant coach Roberto Montanez Jr., who helped the Knights win ten games back when he played with Monarch.
“It feels awesome,” said Coach Davis. “It took so much hard work and dedication to make this possible. I just want to thank principal Cecil and the administration. It takes a total team effort.”
Quarterback A.J. Hairston shined again, throwing for 402 yards. He added six more touchdown passes and has 26 this season. Walter Parrish recorded a pair of touchdowns, while Jessie Fields, Samari Reed, Terell Lo’ray, and Mark Harris had one. Running back Willie Reed added 90 yards on the ground.
Defensively, Corey Ebert and Roderick Parker each had 11 tackles. Lionel Arcia added ten, along with an interception. Robert Woods recorded the other interception for the Knights’ third shutout this season.
Hairston, though, knows this is only the start for his team.
“It feels good to win Districts, but it’s back to the drawing board,” Hairston said. “We worked hard for this, but we aren’t finished. We have a State Championship to go get.”
Monarch is now 7-2 this year and went 3-0 in conference games with wins over Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Olympic Heights, and CSHS.
Next, the Knights will face Deerfield Beach High School on Friday, Nov 4, at 7 p.m. for their Senior Night. The Bucks are 3-6 this year with wins over Coral Glades, Everglades, and Boyd H. Anderson High School. Deerfield Beach has won the last six head-to-head matchups, including a 40-6 victory in 2021.
Got News? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.06.08Monarch Football Team Wins 7×7 Tournament at UF: 2 Players Pick Up Offers
- News2023.06.03Monarch High School’s Star Quarterback AJ Hairston Makes College Pick
- News2023.05.30District and Regional Champ Michael McGrath Makes College Pick
- News2023.05.23North Broward Prep Baseball Makes Run to 3rd Straight State Championship Game