By Ryan Yousefi
For the second time this year, a Margate restaurant has been ordered to stop service following the discovery of rat droppings throughout its kitchen.
On August 31, Atlantic Pho, located at 5408 West Atlantic Boulevard, was ordered to shut down due to serious health code violations discovered during a recent Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation inspection.
This is the second time this year Atlantic Pho has been ordered to shut its doors due to a health code violation, with the previous shutdown on June 29 also related to rodent issues.
The latest inspection revealed 17 violations, with rampant rodent activity being the most serious concern, particularly with the restaurant’s history of the same issues.
Inspectors note in the report that they found immediate evidence of rodent droppings in various restaurant areas, including droppings on top of a dishwashing machine, underneath the device, and beside a triple sink.
The report also noted that they found droppings along the passage leading to the storage area and approximately 30 in the dry storage area, which needed proper separation by a closing door.
In addition to the severe rodent issues, a “Stop Sale” was issued after the discovery of poor time/temperature control for safety. Food items stored in the walk-in cooler were found to be above the safe temperature, including many proteins, and containers of half and half at the wait station that were held at 51°F, far warmer than what is deemed safe to have dairy products at to consume.
The inspection also uncovered unsanitary conditions, including an accumulation of black substances, grease, and food debris in the interior of ovens and microwaves.
According to the report, the closure of Atlantic Pho will remain in effect until the establishment rectifies all the violations and passes a subsequent inspection.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Margate Resident Honored for Over 30 Years of Volunteer Service at Broward Center for Performing Arts
- NewsSeptember 22, 2023Real-Life Spider-Man Tracks Down Stolen Car, Taking it Back From Thief
- NewsSeptember 16, 2023Woman Doused and Injured in Vicious Attack in Margate
- NewsSeptember 14, 2023City of Margate Holds Lifeguard Certification Courses at Calypso Cove