By Agrippina Fadel
Relief for a couple who lost their entire savings is coming one small business and donation at a time.
The owner of the coffee shop Lady and the Mug, Aimee Tarte, is offering support to Doris and Barry Bauman, who lost $99,000 after falling victim to an international email scam tracked to Hong Kong.
The coffee shop at University Place in Coral Springs will give the couple 10% of all sales on Saturday, November 19, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The shop has another location in Tampa, and Lady and the Mug are known for supporting community events and charities.
Doris and Barry’s daughter Sonja Bauman started a GoFundMe campaign to help her parents, who are now considering selling their cars and the house they have lived in since the 1980s.
So far, the campaign has raised $705 out of the $20K goal. Sonja credited the Margate Talk article about her family for getting people’s attention and receiving a few hundred dollars in donations.
“You hear about these stories of people getting scammed online all the time, but you never think it can happen to your family. My parents are great, hard-working people, and they were victimized by criminals. If anyone deserves a little help in this kind of situation, it is them. They lost everything,” said Sonja.
She said the idea to start a GoFundMe campaign came from desperation. She feels the campaign is the least she can do for her parents and hopes the community will support them through this difficult time.
“I am trying to spread the word as much as I can,” Sonja said. “This is devastating for my parents, and we appreciate the community’s help.”
Lady & The Mug is at 3111 N University Dr, Coral Springs.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- Events2022.11.25Church Offers Unique Multi-Sensory Worship Service
- Coconut Creek2022.11.21Winter Magic Returns With the 10th Annual ‘Light Up the Night’ Holiday Party
- Crime2022.11.18Coffee Shop Raises Funds for Margate Couple Who Lost Life Savings in Scam
- Events2022.11.16Church Offers Unique Multi-Sensory Worship Service