By Ryan Yousefi
A man is facing domestic battery charges following an alleged physical assault on a family member who was a passenger in a vehicle he was operating during the incident.
On July 23, the Margate Police Department responded to a domestic altercation near the 4400 block of Lyons Road.
According to the caller, a man, later identified as Mark Jose Cortes Sr, 46, of Royal Palm Beach, was allegedly intoxicated and assaulted a family member while inside a moving vehicle.
According to the report, upon arrival, the victim told officers that while returning from a trip, an argument occurred between Cortes and himself. The victim told police the situation escalated quickly, with Cortes Sr. reportedly becoming belligerent and verbally abusive.
Witnesses say he hurled derogatory language, including “bitch,” at the victim and allegedly became physical, forcefully shoving his head into the passenger side window of their vehicle.
Records indicate Cortes continued his tirade, accusing the victim of having “woman tendencies” before again shoving him on the left side of his face.
The situation escalated, and law enforcement was called as the two arrived at their destination. Upon exiting the vehicle, Cortes reportedly continued his aggressive behavior, getting into his victim’s face and engaging in repeated chest bumps and shoves.
During the physical altercation, Cortes continued using derogatory language, calling the victim offensive names while continuing his assault.
According to the report, now outside of the vehicle, the victim was able to escape and fled into a residence to get help.
The arrest report indicates a family member that witnessed the ordeal and was able to call police, who arrived and put Cortes into custody.
Cortes was transported to the Broward County Main Jail, where he was released after posting a $2,000 bond.
The report does not indicate how Cortes sustained what appears to be a facial injury in his mugshot or if it took place before the incident or during his arrest.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Margate Mother Arrested For Child Abuse After Admitting to ‘Beating His Ass’
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Margate Police Seek Public’s Help in Finding Missing Juvenile
- NewsNovember 24, 2023Register Now for the 18th Annual ‘Our Margate’ Holiday Decorating Contest
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Margate Woman Arrested for Assault with a Loaded Gun During Domestic Dispute