By Ryan Yousefi
A routine traffic stop turned into a dramatic chase of a motorcyclist who fled from a traffic stop, crashed his bike, and led officers on a foot chase.
On August 9, an officer from the Margate Police Department, on patrol near the intersection of Royal Palm Blvd and North State Road 7, witnessed a motorcyclist on the road without a license plate.
Upon activating his emergency lights, the report shows that the officer positioned his vehicle in front of the motorcyclist, later identified as Carlos Alberto Martinez, 34, of Margate, to discuss the missing and required plate.
According to the official report, Martinez, clearly agitated, repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, stating, “I didn’t do anything wrong!”
Despite the officer’s attempts to inform Martinez of the missing license plate violation, he suddenly accelerated his motorcycle, swerved around the officer’s vehicle, and fled eastbound on Copans Road.
The arrest report shows that multiple police units joined the pursuit, including K9 and detectives, and as Martinez dangerously navigated traffic at a high rate of speed, the chase came to an end when he lost control of the motorcycle and fell off.
With his bike totaled, Martinez still refused commands to surrender, fleeing on foot, heading northbound along North State Road 7.
After a brief foot chase, Martinez was captured, arrested, and transported to the Broward County Main Jail, where he was later released after posting a $2,500 bond.
Martinez now faces third-degree felony eluding law enforcement charges.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Margate Mother Arrested For Child Abuse After Admitting to ‘Beating His Ass’
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Margate Police Seek Public’s Help in Finding Missing Juvenile
- NewsNovember 24, 2023Register Now for the 18th Annual ‘Our Margate’ Holiday Decorating Contest
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Margate Woman Arrested for Assault with a Loaded Gun During Domestic Dispute