By: Matt Rothman
North Broward Prep’s Riley Luft is officially set to play college baseball after committing to Appalachian State in North Carolina Thursday morning.
He becomes the second player from NBP baseball to commit to Appalachian State, joining teammate Jonathan Xuereb, who is currently a freshman. Also attending the school is Justin Abson, who played on the varsity basketball team.
“It feels amazing to be committed to such a great program and school,” said Luft. “Knowing that I am going to be playing Division I baseball alongside a previous teammate is very exciting to me.”
I am thrilled and exited to announce that I will be furthering my academic and baseball carrier at Appalachian State University. I am thankful for my parents, my sister, my coaches and everyone else that helped me throughout this process. pic.twitter.com/aIJPEtV1N1
— Riley luft (@LuftRiley) October 27, 2022
Luft began playing baseball when he was three. After playing little league, he played travel ball with the Florida Hurricanes, then TBT National. Luft has been on the varsity baseball team for two years and has won a pair of State Championships.
He is a lifetime .292 hitter with the Eagles and has hit a pair of home runs. He also has driven in 29 runs and has signed on the mound as well. He has recorded five saves in his career and also stuck out 64 hitters in 51 innings.
Despite having two more years left on the varsity baseball team, Luft said his decision to commit was an easy one.
“As soon as I went to the campus and saw it in person, my mind was blown, he said. “All the beautiful facilities and field and how welcoming the coaching staff is and how great of people they are.”
He still wants to improve in all areas of the game, including his speed and infield defense and looks for his third straight State Championship this spring.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Monarch Baseball and Softball Dominate in Wins; Star Player Commits
- NewsFebruary 18, 202410 Monarch Football Players Officially Sign; 2 More Announce Commitment
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Monarch High School Hosts Senior Night and Postseason Games
- NewsJanuary 31, 20242 Monarch High School Football Players Announce Their College Picks