By: Matt Rothman
The North Broward Prep boys basketball is headed to the Regional Final for the first time under Head Coach Casey Wohlleb following their win over Somerset Academy on Wednesday.
This was a rematch of the District Championship Game after Somerset upset Cardinal Gibbons High School in the Regional Quarterfinals and the Eagles’ third win against Somerset Academy this year.
“I was really impressed with our team,” said Said Wohlleb. “I thought they took all the momentum but were able to get got some good stops and some easy buckets. Also, I thought we did a good job of getting to the basket late.”
The Eagles jumped out to an early 27-13 lead after the first quarter, but Somerset cut the deficit to four at halftime. They went on to take a three-point lead in the third quarter until NBP responded with a three by Alex Wigginton NBP led by one heading into the fourth quarter and outscored Somerset 26-10 in the final eight minutes.
Raul Perez-Ruiz led the team in scoring with 20. Enrico Borio added 17, while Ryan Weiss has 12. Dylan Hoffman also shined in the fourth quarter and finished with 12. Wigginton, Junxi-Yang and Ben Daniels scored all made multiple baskets
“I thought Dylan had one of the best second halves since he has been at North Broward,” Wohlleb added. “He was really good for us.”
NBP is 22-7 this year and will play for a Regional Championship on Friday, Feb. 24, against Matar Lakes Academy. The Bears are 25-3 this year and won a District Championship along with wins in Regionals against Booker T Washington and Hallandale High School.
Got News in Margate? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.26North Broward Prep Eagles Soar Towards a Historic 3rd State Championship Title, Led by New College-Bound Talents
- News2023.03.21North Broward Prep 2022 Graduate Justin Abson Posts Historic Freshman Season in College
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Baseball Wins 5th Straight Game
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Softball Wins 2nd Game of the Season