By: Matt Rothman
Monarch High School continues to shine in athletics, with its football team advancing to the Regional Final on Friday.
The Knights beat Santaluces High School 50-27 for their tenth win of the season. Malik Kelsey and Demarcus Pierce scored rushing touchdowns before Santana Harrison returned an interception for a score. Monarch converted all three two-point conversions before A.J. Hairston connected to Samari Reed to make it 30-7. Kevin Powell, Hairston, and Antonio Ward added touchdowns for the team’s 10th win of the season.
Next, Monarch will play Palm Beach Central in the Final on Friday, November 24 at 7:30 p.m. The Broncos are also 10-2 this year. They beat Spanish River Community and Boca Raton High School in their first two playoff games and came in as the two-seed.
The boys soccer team started the season 2-0 with wins against Deerfield Beach and Pompano Beach High School before falling 1-0 against South Plantation High School on Monday. The girls soccer team won 8-0 in their opening game but have been outscored 9-2 in their last two games against Pompano Beach and South Plantation High School.
The girls volleyball team had two players compete in the BCAA All-Star Game in Jordan Campbell and Veronica Perez-Mena, after the Knights went 12-6 in the regular season. They beat Coral Springs High School before falling to Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the postseason. Monarch’s cheerleading team also began their season, competing at Coconut Creek High School along with Coral Springs High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023North Broward Prep Basketball Begins Season 2-0 With Dominating Wins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Monarch High School Football Makes History With 1st Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 24, 20232 Monarch Football Players Commit Days Before Regional Championship Game
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Monarch High School Football Advances to Regional Championship