By Ryan Yousefi
The City of Margate requires residential and commercial property owners to utilize Republic Services for garbage, recycling, and bulk pickup.
Residents of Margate are provided one garbage cart free of charge, with additional carts available for purchase. Carts are available in three sizes; 35, 65, and 95 gallons.
To purchase an additional garbage cart, contact Republic Services online or by phone at 954-583-1830. Residents may also use this contact information to exchange their current garbage cart for a different size.
To determine your garbage collection days, type your address into the City of Margate’s Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Map. Once you’ve entered your address, the map will zoom in and display your garbage, recycling, and bulk/yard waste collection days.
Garbage Collection Guidelines
- Garbage must be placed curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day but not earlier than 5:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled collection day.
- Place your garbage cart at the curb with the lid closed and the wheels and handle facing your home.
- All garbage must be placed inside the Republic Services provided garbage carts so the lid can completely close.
- Garbage should be bagged to help keep carts clean and odor-free.
- Garbage placed outside or on top of garbage carts will not be collected.
- Set carts at least 3 feet from other objects (i.e., mailbox, car, tree, etc.) and no more than 3 feet from the curb
- Garbage carts shall not be heavier than 150 pounds when full.
- Remove garbage carts within twelve (12) hours of collection.
Materials Ineligible For Garbage Collection
Due to the size of certain items, safety hazards, and certain laws, some materials can not be picked up during normal curbside garbage collection. These items must be disposed of in alternative ways that protect both residents and waste management staff.
The following is a list of some materials that are not accepted for curbside garbage collection:
- Household hazardous waste
- Biohazardous materials
- Medical waste
- Construction debris, including building material, rock, dirt, plaster, iron, or other like materials
- Dead animals
- Liquid waste
- Flammable or explosive materials
- Radioactive materials
- Yard Waste
- Items that are too large to fit entirely within the garbage cart or are heavier than 150 pounds. View the Bulk Waste page for more information on disposing of these items.
Residents who are unsure if a particular item can be recycled or not may reference the City of Margate’s Waste Wizard search function to best answer questions as to if the item is recyclable and, if it is not, what day it would be collected as garbage.
Hazardous Waste Disposal Options
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) materials are not collected curbside by the City of Margate. Items considered HHW should not be placed with regular garbage for collection.
The City of Margate has provided residents with convenient options to properly dispose of HHW free of charge at the Broward County drop-off locations or the City of Margate-hosted HHW collection events.
Check the City’s website for the most updated information about what HHW is accepted at drop-off locations. Residents can also find more information and a complete list of accepted items by visiting the Broward County Waste and Recycling Services website.
Christmas Day is the only holiday on which garbage is not collected. Residents whose garbage collection falls on December 25 may place excess garbage outside their garbage cart on their next collection day.
All excess garbage associated with a missed pickup on Christmas Day must be secured in bins with heavy-duty lids and tightly bound bags.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024City of Margate Holds Lifeguard Certification Courses at Calypso Cove
- NewsFebruary 14, 2024Woman Charged with Trespassing and Assault on Law Enforcement at Hospital
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Celebrate Medieval Times at the Florida Renaissance Festival
- NewsFebruary 4, 20242 Brothers Arrested by Margate Police After Robbing Child on Public Bus