By: Matt Rothman
Monarch High School Corey Baugh is officially signed to play college football alongside his brother Brendon at West Virginia Wesleyan College.
Brendon was a 2021 graduate of J.P. Taravella and had just transferred to WVWC.
“I get to start what I finished with him because we both started football, and this could be the end of our football careers,” said Corey. “It’d be an honor to be able to do that with him.”
Corey started playing football when he was four with the Sunrise Gators before they became the Hurricanes. He played for the same team as his brother but never for the same age group until Corey’s sophomore year of high school.
While Brendan was a senior, they played for J.P. Taravella, and then Corey transferred to Monarch, hoping for a better opportunity to win a District Championship. He also has a terrific relationship with his father, Deron, who was Corey’s mentor and coach.
The Knights won their first District Championship since 2014 with Corey this past season. Not only did he have a pick-six for a touchdown, but Corey also made 31 tackles, including seven in the postseason, and recorded a sack.
One of the toughest obstacles, Corey says, was picking a school.
“I felt almost obligated at one point to commit to some of the other offers I had and really struggled to pick which school would be the best fit for me,” Corey said. “But I listened to God and followed his plan that he laid out for me.”
Corey hopes to work on every area of his game before going to college to improve his chances of becoming a key player. WVCW’s lone win last year came against Anderson Broaddus University in West Virginia.
“I have a really high bar set for myself, and I aim to become the best version of myself that I can be,” Corey said.
Got News in Margate? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.26North Broward Prep Eagles Soar Towards a Historic 3rd State Championship Title, Led by New College-Bound Talents
- News2023.03.21North Broward Prep 2022 Graduate Justin Abson Posts Historic Freshman Season in College
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Baseball Wins 5th Straight Game
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Softball Wins 2nd Game of the Season