By: Matt Rothman
Monarch High School’s Wistanson Mathurin is officially signed to play college football at Edinboro University in Pennsylvania.
“I always dreamt of playing at the next level, and now having to opportunity to do so on a full-ride scholarship is something you can only dream of,” Mathurin said. “None of it would have been possible without God, my family, and coaches, and I’m grateful for all of them.”
Mathurin didn’t start playing football until ninth grade, when he began with Coral Springs High School. He spent three seasons with the Colts before transferring to Monarch High School for his senior year, where the Knights won their second District Championship in school history. He also played in the Miami-Dade vs. Broward High School All-Star Game and was a member of the All-Country Third Team. Mathurin also shines in the classroom with a 4.2 GPA,
Playing on the offensive line, Mathurin helped protect quarterback AJ Hairston and blocked for running back Willie Reed. When deciding on where to play in college, Mathurin says it was anything but easy choosing Edinboro over six different full-ride offers.
“The atmosphere was different from what I’m used to, but I think change is needed when you want to be great,” Mathurin added. “It was refreshing to go from heat to cold. Overall, Edinboro just stuck out over the and I’m excited.”
Before heading to college, Mathurin will try to take care of his body and continues working hard. He is set to join a team that went 5-6 this past season.
Got News in Margate? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.26North Broward Prep Eagles Soar Towards a Historic 3rd State Championship Title, Led by New College-Bound Talents
- News2023.03.21North Broward Prep 2022 Graduate Justin Abson Posts Historic Freshman Season in College
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Baseball Wins 5th Straight Game
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Softball Wins 2nd Game of the Season