By: Matt Rothman
With the end of the regular season coming soon, Monarch High School held three Senior Nights this week.
The baseball team held theirs on April 3, honoring Lyonel Barthelemy, Jael Hernandez, Brayden Slade, Tanner Gibson, Jack Goodman, Vinny Mercado, Jake Ramaglia, Jake Mitarotonda, Giovanni Mastrorosa, Alexander Hernandez, Colin Aube, Aiden White, Andrew Hernandez, and Hunter Nelson.
The Knights fell in a wild 13-11 game against Western High School but beat Piper High School 14-7 on Wednesday. Monarch had 11 players knock in runs, led by five by Mitarotonda. Mastrorosa knocked in three, while Nelson and Aube drove in two. Barthelemy, Hernandez, Slade, Ariel Gonzalez, Sebastian Mayfield, Diego Rojas, and Mercado also had RBIs.
Barthelemy recorded the win on the mound, and Danny Tartaglia pitched four shutout inning in relief and struck out six.
The track and field team held their Senior Night on April 4, with Joshua Peña, Christie Boisrond, Chloee Lamour, and Barthelemy being recognized.
The Knights finished second place, behind Coconut Creek, with the boys’ team winning two events. Jabari Brady took first in the 100 meters, and Dominic Savio won the triple jump. Pena, Brady, Jayden Duprat, Shavar Lambkin, and Marcus Talabert all finished second, along with her 4 x 100 relay team of Malik Tracey, Shavar Lambkin, Mark Harris, and Brady as well as the 4 x 400 relay team of Lambkin, Dominic Savio, Harris, and Daniel Robinson.
The girls’ flag football team also held their Senior Night on Wednesday in their overtime win against Hollywood Hills High School.
They honored Janiah Ellassiant, Christie Boisrond, and Shombria Mitchell before they picked up their fourth win of the season. They previously beat Somerset Academy, Somerset Prep, and West Broward High School, outscoring them 32-0.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023North Broward Prep Basketball Begins Season 2-0 With Dominating Wins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Monarch High School Football Makes History With 1st Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 24, 20232 Monarch Football Players Commit Days Before Regional Championship Game
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Monarch High School Football Advances to Regional Championship