By: Matt Rothman
The Knights improved to 9-2 this year in a season where they won their first District Championship in eight years. Quarterback AJ Hairston shined again with five touchdowns. He threw for 375 yards and had four touchdown passes. Their defense also intercepted four passes.
“It feels awesome,” said Head Coach Calvin Davis. “It was a great way to start the playoffs. The kids deserved it, and we are excited and ready for round two.”
Willie Reed opened the scoring for Monarch with a one-yard touchdown. Samari Reed recorded the second touchdown from 47 yards out from Hairston before Willie had another one-yard score. The Knights took a 36-7 lead at halftime after Walter Parrish recovered a fumble, and Hairston had a five-yard rushing score.
In the second half, Joshua Pena, who recorded a touchdown in the game, got Monarch going with a 45-yard reception, and then Hairston connected with Jessie Fields a 34-yard touchdown while Mark Harris added two as well in the win.
Next, the Knights will play Palm Beach Gardens in the Regional Semifinals on Saturday, Nov. 19 at 7 p.m.. The Gators are 8-3 this year and defeated Jupiter High School in their opening playoff game. Their three losses this season have come against Vero Beach, Pahokee, and Palm Beach Central High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- Coconut Creek2022.11.21Monarch’s Historic Football Season Ends in Overtime at Regional Semifinals
- Coconut Creek2022.11.17North Broward Prep Golf Makes Historic Run in Postseason to State Championship
- Coconut Creek2022.11.14Monarch High School Football Dominates to Pick Up 1st Playoff Win
- Coconut Creek2022.11.135 North Broward Prep Baseball Players Set to Continue Athletic Career in College