By Ryan Yousefi
A man was captured and charged with robbery after fleeing a Walmart with over $3,000 he stole after passing a cashier a note claiming he had a gun.
According to records, the call claimed a man, later identified as Frank Joseph Moore, 64, of Pompano Beach, had walked into the store, approached a cashier, and handed her a note containing a message that read, “Give me the money, I have a gun.”
Upon receiving the note, the cashier told officers that rather than give him the money, she quickly alerted a customer of the attempted robbery, and the customer yelled for a supervisor to help.
According to the arrest report, rather than present a gun or flee the scene, Moore calmly gave the supervisor the same note he had given the cashier.
Fearing for the safety of everyone present, the supervisor decided not to escalate the situation any further, quickly opened the register, placed $3,255.99 in a Walmart bag, and gave the bag to Moore, who fled the scene.
As law enforcement arrived, a search for the suspect immediately ensued. With the assistance of Walmart’s Loss Prevention team, the police were able to track Moore down at a nearby bus stop outside of a Burger King restaurant located at 550 North State Road 7.
After confronting Moore without incident, police took him into custody.
A Walmart employee was taken to the scene to verify Moore was the same man that had robbed the store just moments prior.
According to the arrest report, a weapon believed to be used to threaten the cashier and supervisor was recovered from Moore’s possession during his apprehension. There is no mention in the police report as to whether the money stolen from Walmart was recovered.
Moore was placed under arrest and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Margate Resident Honored for Over 30 Years of Volunteer Service at Broward Center for Performing Arts
- NewsSeptember 22, 2023Real-Life Spider-Man Tracks Down Stolen Car, Taking it Back From Thief
- NewsSeptember 16, 2023Woman Doused and Injured in Vicious Attack in Margate
- NewsSeptember 14, 2023City of Margate Holds Lifeguard Certification Courses at Calypso Cove