By: Matt Rothman
On Wednesday, Coconut Creek High School track and field team kicked off their season with a strong result in the BCAA Week 1 race at Coral Springs High school.
The Cougars competed against Coral Springs, Northeast, Coral Springs Charter, and Deerfield Beach High School, with the boys team coming in third with 83 points. They dominated in the individual races, with Hyajeh Miller winning the 200 and 400 meters while Jermaine Gordon winning the 100 meters. Joshua Anderson and Diego Maldonado placed in the top three.
Alvarado Mondestin, Joshua Yearby, Jahar Brown and Davari Morris won the 4 x 100 relay. Joshua Anderson, Terrance Fuller, Jeremiah Accius, and Maldonado finished second in the 4 x 400 relay. Elijah Cannon paced in the top three in two events, while Ivans Delien also ran well for the boys team.
The girls finished in fourth place, with Selena Adams, Amira Robillard, Janelle Bennett, and Jayda Washington winning the 4 x 100 relay. Washington also won the long jump, followed by Janelle and Jaylyn Bennett. Selena Adams, Beriah Fevrier, Asia Gilbert, and Kahlia Exantus placed second in their events.
Monarch also competed in their first race of the season with the Knights led by Jabari Brady, who won the 100 and 200 meters. Jayden Duprat and Dominic Savio also won events, while Jahsean Winchester, Dominic Savio, Daniel Robinson, and Mark Harris won the 4 x 400 relay. Save, Daniel Roberston, and Marcus Talabert came in second in events facing Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Coral Springs High School, and Coral Springs Charter.
For the girls, their relay team of Daniella Ducrepin, Princess Greene, Faith Hannah, and Madison Gaines finished second in the 4 x 100 relay. They also got a second-place finish from Courtney Johnson in the Discus, while Gulia Anjos, Niqueaha Cross, Princess Greene, and Riley Cockreham finished third in the 4 x 400 relay. Isabella Alba, Courtney Johnson, and Niqueaha Cross all performed exceptionally well for the girls.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023North Broward Prep Basketball Begins Season 2-0 With Dominating Wins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Monarch High School Football Makes History With 1st Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 24, 20232 Monarch Football Players Commit Days Before Regional Championship Game
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Monarch High School Football Advances to Regional Championship