By Sharon Aron Baron
A driver has been arrested and charged with vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of a crash, among other offenses, in connection with a fatal single-car accident in Margate last month.
According to the Margate Police Department, the driver, identified as 20-year-old Ricky Lavon Lee of Margate, lost control of his BMW near the intersection of Rock Island Road and Northwest 1st Street in the early morning hours of February 6, 2023. The vehicle left the roadway and struck a tree, resulting in the death of one passenger and injuries to others.
Markya Kyana Hunt, 21, of Pompano Beach, was pronounced dead at the scene. A one-year-old child sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was treated at Broward Health Medical Center. A second adult female passenger was also treated at Broward Health North for non-life-threatening injuries.
Lee reportedly fled the scene of the crash on foot. He was identified as the driver, and an arrest warrant was issued for him on charges of vehicular homicide, leaving the scene of a crash, and multiple traffic offenses.
On March 3, Lee was located and arrested in Fort Lauderdale. He is currently being held in Broward County Jail without bond.
The cause of the traffic crash is still under investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed the collision is asked to call Traffic Homicide Investigator Kahlyl Antoine at the Margate Police Department (954) 972-7111.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media, which includes Margate Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk.
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Monarch Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Humane Society of Broward County Seeks Forever Homes for Gentle Dog and Tranquil Cat
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024‘Adopt a Sweetheart’ Event Held at the Humane Society of Broward County
- NewsFebruary 11, 2024Monday Night Bingo at Temple Beth Am Holds an Anniversary Celebration