By Ryan Yousefi
A daring confrontation between a car theft victim and the accused thief led to the arrest of a man charged with grand theft auto.
The incident began when the victim reported the theft of his 2016 black Kia Soul near the Bank of America at 550 North State Road 7. According to records, the Margate Police Department quickly responded to the call. However, the victim was determined not to wait to recover his stolen vehicle and decided to take matters into his own hands.
According to the arrest report, the victim spotted his stolen vehicle being driven by a man, Rashard Seymour, 18, of Margate, near the Marathon Gas Station at 800 North State Road 7. The victim then approached and jumped through the back window of his car with Seymour still behind the wheel.
As Seymour attempted to flee the scene in the stolen vehicle, the victim wrapped his arms and seatbelt around the suspect’s neck, preventing him from driving away. The dramatic confrontation continued with the victim holding Seymour in a vice-like grip until the Margate Police Department arrived on the scene.
According to records, MPD officers quickly secured the vehicle and took Seymour into custody. The stolen Kia Soul was then returned to the victim at the Marathon Gas Station, who had not sustained any injuries and was free to leave the scene.
Seymour was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Margate Mother Arrested For Child Abuse After Admitting to ‘Beating His Ass’
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Margate Police Seek Public’s Help in Finding Missing Juvenile
- NewsNovember 24, 2023Register Now for the 18th Annual ‘Our Margate’ Holiday Decorating Contest
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Margate Woman Arrested for Assault with a Loaded Gun During Domestic Dispute