By: Matt Rothman
Monarch High School’s football team got off to a terrific start with a 38-8 win in their first game for the season Friday night against Boca Raton High School.
The Knights also improved 1-0 for the fifth time in six seasons and have outscored their opponents 226-24 in victories.
Monarch jumped out to a quick 8-0 lead after an 80-yard kick return by Samari Reed before A.J. Hairston threw two first-quarter touchdown passes to give the Knights a 22-point lead. Joshua Pena caught a 55-yard pass and had a score from 68 yards. Hairston also added rushing touchdown and Corey Ebert had a 55-yard interception return for a touchdown.
After winning five games last year, the Knights look to build on that this year. They are set to play Atlantic High School in their second game of the season on Friday, September 2, at 7 p.m. after they fell 39-38 in their first game against Palm Beach Garden High School.
ORIGINALLY WE REPORTED THAT #1 COLLIN BENDER SCORED TWO TOUCHDOWNS. HOWEVER, IT WAS #1 JOSHUA PENA.
Got News? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.06.08Monarch Football Team Wins 7×7 Tournament at UF: 2 Players Pick Up Offers
- News2023.06.03Monarch High School’s Star Quarterback AJ Hairston Makes College Pick
- News2023.05.30District and Regional Champ Michael McGrath Makes College Pick
- News2023.05.23North Broward Prep Baseball Makes Run to 3rd Straight State Championship Game