By Kevin Deutsch
Thieves burglarized seven vehicles in a Margate neighborhood during an overnight spree last weekend, police records show.
According to the Margate Police Department, the auto burglaries happened around Southwest 8th and 9th Street on Dec. 10 and 11.
The front passenger window was shattered on a white Ford Fusion, and $20 coins were taken from the center console.
The front passenger window was shattered on a gray Dodge Challenger, but nothing of value was taken.
The front passenger-side window was smashed on a Chevy Tahoe.
A Chevy pickup truck’s front passenger side window was smashed, and the center console was ransacked.
A Toyota coupe with an unlocked door was broken into. The thief or thieves stole a wallet with a driver’s license and debit card from inside the car.
The center console was ransacked in a Toyota Rav4, which may have been unlocked.
The steering column was removed from a Hyundai Sonata, which was unlocked.
At least one arrest was made by police patrolling after the burglaries, authorities said Tuesday.
“Earlier this week, due to a slew of vehicle burglaries, Platoon II and K-9 focused on an area of recent crimes and came upon a suspicious vehicle driving in a residential area with his vehicle blacked out,” Margate Police wrote on the department’s Facebook page. “Our officers made contact with the subject, and he was ultimately arrested for various offenses.”
Police did not include the man’s name or the crimes they charged him with.
“Margate Police will continue to show a proactive approach to crime prevention and to secure the safety of our residents and their property,” the department said. “This is just a reminder to stay vigilant of your surroundings, including your home and neighborhood. If you see something, say something.”
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Monarch High School Principal, Staffers Reassigned Amid Sports Probe
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Child Kidnapped After Leaving Margate Fair
- NewsJuly 6, 2023Margate Pho Restaurant Temporarily Closed by Health Inspectors
- NewsJuly 2, 20232 Hurt in Margate Motorcycle Crash, One Airlifted to Hospital