By: Matt Rothman
North Broward Prep baseball had one of the most magical runs in the country in 2021.
The Eagles, who started the season 3-5-1, went on to win the State Championship behind a strong team performance. While some players committed before the season, NBP officially has five players set to play college baseball.
Yoel Tejada: University of Florida
Yoel Tejada is one of the top pitchers in the state and is committed to the University of Florida. He is currently 9-0 on the mound with an ERA under the last two seasons. He also hit .357 in his career with two home runs and has recorded 67 RBIs.
Jonathan Xuerub: Appalachian State University
While Justin Abson will be playing basketball next year at Appalachian State University, Jonathan Xuereb will be on the baseball team. Through his first 48 at-bats this season, he is hitting .396 after batting .429 in 2021. He also has picked up two wins while pitching and struck out 39 hitters in 36 innings.
Jason Krause: University of Tampa
Jason Krause will be the third Eagle from their senior class playing college baseball next year. He will be attending Tampa university and is currently recovering from Tommy John Surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament inside the elbow.
Mauricio Bejarano: Eastern Kentucky University
Mauricio Bejarano is only a junior but is committed to Eastern Kentucky University. While playing in the middle infield, Benarano hit .304 as a sophomore and currently had eight hits this year. He has driven in eight runs with one extra-base hit, and Bejarano also has scored seven runs and swiped three bases.
Ryan McPherson: Mississippi State
Ryan McPherson still has two and half years left with NBP before competing in the SEC with Mississippi State. In two games this year, the hard-throwing right-hander has allowed only one earned run and stuck out 13 batters in 12 innings.
All five will be key parts of the Eagles’ run this year. Despite starting the season out 7-7, NBP still has ten games left before playing in the District Tournament. The competition will remain tough, competing in a strong district with Coral Springs Charter and Calvary Christian.
Got News? Send it to Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.26North Broward Prep Eagles Soar Towards a Historic 3rd State Championship Title, Led by New College-Bound Talents
- News2023.03.21North Broward Prep 2022 Graduate Justin Abson Posts Historic Freshman Season in College
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Baseball Wins 5th Straight Game
- News2023.03.17Monarch High School Softball Wins 2nd Game of the Season