By: Matt Rothman
“I just thank God for allowing me to have this opportunity to play basketball at the next level. It truly is a blessing, said Roberts. “It’s still surreal, and I’m just excited to get to work with the Basketball program at Barry.”
Roberts played basketball but never enjoyed it, however, in seventh grade he became extremely motivated by coach Gerry and Horace Smith. Roberts then began training following his sophomore year of high school.
In the past 26 games, he averaged 9.6 points song with 5.5 rebounds per game, finishing the season with 239 points.
While the Eagles reached the Regional Semifinals after winning 27 of 30 games. Roberts also competed on the track and field team, reaching the podium in the triple jump.
Roberts gives much of the credit to his family and coaches. Among those were coaches Caio Santos, Amilcar Mantus, Anthony Chavez, Charlie Chavez, Casey Wohlleb, Joe Fuentes, Akeem, Colby Wohlleb, John Garriss, Nick Bernal, Akii Dean, Malcom Powell and Noah Rosado. Roberts also has a great relationship with his older brother, Makai and has an younger sister named Sanai that that is a volleyball star and is already getting looks from Division I teams.
When looking at colleges, Roberts felt Barry University had a great balance of academics and athletics. He also liked the close proximity to his hometown in Greenacres.
While he has had relatives get drafted in the NFL, Roberts hopes to become the next star in the family when he joins a team next year that won 20 games this past season.
Got News in Coconut Creek or Margate? Send it to Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- Coconut Creek2022.06.26State Champion Jonathan Xuereb Set To Play College Baseball
- Coconut Creek2022.06.207 Monarch Softball Players Earn Conference Awards
- News2022.06.17North Broward Prep Brian Campbell Wins Coach of the Year
- Coconut Creek2022.06.05North Broward Prep Hands Out End-of-Year Athletic Awards