By: Matt Rothman
The boys finished in 19th place out of 25 teams and had five students place. Darren Kong had the best result, coming in second place in the triple jump and eighth in the long jump. He was also a 4 x 400 relay team member and helped his team of Jahsean Winchester, Daniel Robinson, and Mark Harris come in 14th.
The girls finished 13th and also had several students shine. Abril May finished fourth in the long jump, then placed sixth in the 4 x 400 relay team with Kaylee Isen, Gianna Potenzano, and Katrice Burke, which broke the school record. May also came in 15th in the 100 meters while Sabrina Dorelien had a personal best in the discus.
Potenzano placed sixth in the 800 meters while Burkle finished 16th in the 400 meters. Burke, Potenzano, and Isen also competed in the 4 x 800 relay race with Shayna Agatstein and ended up in an eighth-place, which made them All-County.
“I was really proud of this team,” said Head Coach Dione Hester. “We have been working hard to establish ourselves as a contender.”
Next, Monarch will be back in action on Friday, March 25th at Green Acres.
Got News? Send it to Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Monarch Baseball and Softball Dominate in Wins; Star Player Commits
- NewsFebruary 18, 202410 Monarch Football Players Officially Sign; 2 More Announce Commitment
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Monarch High School Hosts Senior Night and Postseason Games
- NewsJanuary 31, 20242 Monarch High School Football Players Announce Their College Picks