By Sharon Aron Baron
The School Board of Broward County unanimously approved a contract for Dr. Earlean C. Smiley to serve as Broward County Public Schools’ (BCPS) Interim Superintendent.
“Our core business is teaching and learning. Our success is measured by student achievement results,” Dr. Smiley said. “Keeping the system healthy and functioning to achieve that end is my mission critical.”
The vote took place during the School Board meeting on February 15, 2023.
Dr. Smiley has an extensive career in education, having spent 30 years with the District. She served as Deputy Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction/Student Support from 2000 through 2010 and was a teacher, assistant principal, and high school principal.
Under her leadership, BCPS was recognized by the Council of the Great City Schools for student achievement for seven consecutive years, led the nation in National Board-Certified Teachers – with over 1,300 teachers – and was one of five public school systems selected as finalists for the 2008 and 2009 Broad Prize for Urban Education.
Dr. Smiley holds a Bachelor of Arts in drama, speech, and English, a Master of Science in administration and supervision, and a Doctor of Education in curriculum and instruction.
“The School Board looks forward to working with Dr. Smiley as we focus on the success of our students and schools,” said School Board Chair Lori Alhadeff. “We welcome Dr. Smiley and look forward to her providing leadership and continuity for our District until a permanent Superintendent is selected.”
Dr. Smiley’s first day was February 15, 2023, per the approved contract.
Got News in Margate? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media, which includes Margate Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk.
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Adopt These Adorable Pets: Onyx and Toes Are Looking for Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County
- News2023.03.14Hollywood-Themed Relay For Life Event in Parkland, Coral Springs, Margate, and Coconut Creek Held April 1
- News2023.03.14Earn Service Hours During Free Food Distribution on March 15