By: David Russell
South Florida’s favorite academic-based quiz show, School Duel, is back for Season 13 and features Monarch High School on Thursday, March 16, on BECON-TV.
School Duel is a locally-produced show where 24 high school teams of three compete in 12 fast-paced individual games against other schools from Jupiter to Miami for the grand prize. Several Broward County schools made the cut this year, including Monarch, J.P. Taravella, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Coral Glades, and Coral Springs High.
“Our goal with this production is to showcase and reward student achievement. We want to highlight our students who are working hard in the classroom and give them a chance to shine,” said Jim Guarasci, executive producer.
School Duel consists of four rounds of questions covering a variety of subjects. The show begins with the First Strike round, featuring a series of 10-point toss-up questions that either team can answer. The second round, named the Joust, matches individual players head-to-head for a 10-point question, with the winner earning their team a chance to answer three more bonus questions worth up to 30 additional points. In Round three, things heat up in the Rapid Action round, where teams try to answer ten questions in a speed round. The final is aptly named the Final Showdown, consisting of a series of toss-up questions worth 20 points each.
Players on both the winning and runner-up teams will each receive an array of prizes from the sponsors BrightStar Credit Union and Chick-fil-A, namely voucher meal and gift cards, a School Duel trophy presented by EDCO Awards & Specialties, and a legacy that will be cemented in history.
The show will air on BECON-TV every Thursday at 8 pm, hosted by former HEATv star Lisa Lee.
Follow the full schedule online.
Got News in Margate? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- A Coral Springs native, Florida State University graduate, and eternal optimist, David strives to find the local hidden gems in South Florida. He has a strong interest in technology, finance, and comedy.
- News2023.03.21Calypso Cove Water Park Open Daily During Spring Break
- News2023.03.21Margate to Host Annual Springtime Egg Hunt Featuring Peter Rabbit
- News2023.03.07Battle of the Brains: Monarch High School Competes on Episode of School Duel
- News2023.01.05Margate Legacy Elite Baseball Seeks Donations for 2023 Youth World Series