The North Creek Explorer 5K is getting ready to sprint into its 14th year.
The race, held by the North Creek Presbyterian Church, will benefit the Coconut Creek Police Department’s Explorer Program, which educates and introduces youth between 14 and 21 who are interested in a law enforcement career.
According to Officer and Explorer Program Coordinator Anthony Mancuso, youth “explorers” have the opportunity to see firsthand the efforts of law enforcement officers in numerous job aspects, such as traffic stops, building searches, and arrest procedures.
There will also be entertainment and refreshments, including a live band, hamburgers, and hot dogs. The Chick-fil-A Cow will also be there, and for the little kids, they can play at a mini playground with parental supervision.
The race will begin on Sat., Dec. 3, at 5 p.m. at the church, located at 4601 N.W. 71st Place.
The department will use the funds to cover the cost of uniforms, equipment, trips, and local and state competitions.
“This run is extremely important to the Explorer Program as it is the largest fundraiser the Explorer Program is involved in,” he said.
“The event is a great way to promote local business while also showing support for the Coconut Creek Police Department and the Explorer Program,” Mancuso said.
Ahead of the race, Mancuso said he hopes the event brings the community closer together.
“It gives the community an opportunity to interact with the department personnel and the Explorers,” he said. “I believe this event helps the department build better relationships with the church members and all the citizens who come out to participate in the run.”
- A University of Florida journalism graduate, Bryan plans to pursue geosciences at Florida International University for his master's. He has a strong interest in weather, entertainment, and journalism.
- NewsOctober 18, 2023Margate Commission Proposes MCRA Extension to 2047 for City Center Growth
- NewsOctober 17, 2023Calypso Cove Aquatic Center Eyes $604K Upgrade with All-Ages Play Area
- NewsOctober 3, 20232024 Margate Election Heats Up with Early Fundraising Leads Emerging
- NewsOctober 2, 2023Margate Committee Gives Conditional Approval to Springdale Golf Course Redevelopment