By Ryan Yousefi
A mother faces child abuse charges after a heated exchange with her son.
A domestic violence call led Margate Police to the residence of Emily Collazo, 28, of Margate, following a physical altercation involving her 12-year-old son.
According to the MPD report, officers were dispatched to the scene following an allegation of domestic violence. Upon arrival, officers encountered Collazo, who detailed a heated exchange with her son during a phone orientation with the Department of Children and Families.
Collazo claimed that the altercation began when her son verbally abused her with derogatory language, calling her a “bitch” and a “whore” during the call. In response, she admitted that after the call, she entered her son’s room and was “beating his ass.”
Emily alleged that during the altercation, her son kicked her in the face multiple times and choked her. In self-defense, she claimed to have bitten her son.
The report indicates Collazo did not display any visible injuries. Still, the victim exhibited a bite mark on his forearm, a bump on his forehead, and a bruise on his left shoulder.
Collazo’s relative, who was present during the incident, told officers that she had been consuming alcohol throughout the night and appeared intoxicated. The victim confirmed that his mother forcibly entered the room and physically assaulted him.
The Margate Police photographed the injuries sustained by both Collazo and her son, and Child Protective Services were notified of the incident through an online report.
Collazo was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail. She was later released after posting a $2,500 bond.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024City of Margate Holds Lifeguard Certification Courses at Calypso Cove
- NewsFebruary 14, 2024Woman Charged with Trespassing and Assault on Law Enforcement at Hospital
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Celebrate Medieval Times at the Florida Renaissance Festival
- NewsFebruary 4, 20242 Brothers Arrested by Margate Police After Robbing Child on Public Bus