By Ryan Yousefi
A Margate man has been charged with false imprisonment and battery following an incident where he allegedly threatened his girlfriend’s life during an argument over his suspected infidelity.
According to the Margate Police Department, officers received a 911 call on January 10 from a neighbor near the 1500 block of Northwest 80th Avenue, reporting a victim had run to their residence following an alleged kidnapping and physical attack.
During the call, the victim claimed her assailant, later identified as her boyfriend, Shayne Messam, 20, of Margate, was armed during her assault.
According to the victim’s account, the confrontation started in the living room when she confronted Messam about potential infidelity.
The victim told officers the situation quickly escalated when Messam, in response to her threat to leave, retrieved a black rifle, pointed it at the ground, and said, “If you leave, I’m going to kill you, hoe.”
The victim claimed her attempts to de-escalate the situation were in vain as the argument turned physical, with both parties striking each other. She told MPD that during the scuffle, Messam grabbed her by the neck and throat, impeding her breathing.
In an attempt to escape, the victim ran towards a gate in the backyard but was forcibly brought back by Messam in a ‘bear hug.’ She eventually managed to flee and sought help from neighbors, leading to the 911 call that officers received.
Police arrived at the scene to find the victim with visible injuries.
Upon his surrender, Messam denied to MPD the presence of a firearm or any physical altercation, claiming he only wanted to continue the conversation.
Despite his claims, physical evidence and witness accounts led to Messam’s arrest. He was transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024City of Margate Holds Lifeguard Certification Courses at Calypso Cove
- NewsFebruary 14, 2024Woman Charged with Trespassing and Assault on Law Enforcement at Hospital
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Celebrate Medieval Times at the Florida Renaissance Festival
- NewsFebruary 4, 20242 Brothers Arrested by Margate Police After Robbing Child on Public Bus