By Sharon Aron Baron
Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida has announced an exciting new scholarship opportunity for high school seniors who are members.
Made possible by a generous donation from the Gina Rose Montalto Foundation, the scholarship was created to honor the memory of Gina Rose Montalto, an outstanding Girl Scout tragically killed in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
Since 2019, GSSEF has partnered with the Foundation to award a one-time $1,500 scholarship to a Gold Award Girl Scout. This year, however, the Gina Rose Montalto Gold Award Scholarship will be a four-year scholarship to a public university within the Florida College system, valued at approximately $25,000.
“We are both proud and excited to expand this year’s scholarship in such a meaningful way,” said Gina’s father, Tony Montalto. “This scholarship will be truly transformative for a Girl Scout who wants to achieve her undergraduate degree.”
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be high school seniors who have earned their Gold Award, the highest award in Girl Scouting. The scholarship will be presented at the 2023 Girl Scout Gold Award Ceremony on May 13, 2023, at the Signature Grand in Davie.
“The applicants for our Gold Award Scholarship are fantastic young women, and choosing a winner amongst them is a challenge every year,” said Jennifer, Gina’s mother.
GSSEF’s CEO, Lisa Johnson, has worked closely with the Montalto family for the past five years.
“Our organization is honored to work with Gina’s family and offer this life-changing scholarship to a Gold Award Girl Scout. This is another example of how Girl Scouting provides girls with opportunities that will help shape their future and set them on a road towards success.”
This scholarship opportunity is a significant addition to the already robust programs offered by Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida, which serves over 6,400 girls in Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River, and Okeechobee Counties.
Those interested in applying for the scholarship can find details and the application on the GSSEF website. Applications are due April 2, 2023.
Got News in Margate? Send it to Margate Talk. Don’t miss reading Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Parkland Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media, which includes Margate Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk.
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Adopt These Adorable Pets: Onyx and Toes Are Looking for Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County
- News2023.03.14Hollywood-Themed Relay For Life Event in Parkland, Coral Springs, Margate, and Coconut Creek Held April 1
- News2023.03.14Earn Service Hours During Free Food Distribution on March 15